Saturday, July 05, 2008

A day with a friend

Allyson, with whom I shared the trek from VA to AZ late last spring, has joined me at my Venice beach cottage for 6 days. We have spent the past few days with my dear sons, daughter-in-law, and GRANDkids, but today we left the family to themselves and took ourselves shopping in Santa Monica. First stop was REI where I bought a converter for my electronics to use in Australia and New Zealand. Then a stroll down the 3rd Streeet promenade led us to Borders' Books where I purchased a red, leather-bound, journal to keep notes downunder, as well as some reading material for the 14 1/2 hour flight from LAX to Sydney on the 12th. We then drove toward Main Street where we parked the car and began a leisurely stroll past myriad shops. We popped in and out of shops to peruse the merchandise and/or purchase items that took our fancy. Esme's third birthday is the 10th and I spent time and money in a delightful children's store to pick up two charming dresses for her. Next purchase a pair of medium-sized gold circle earrings for me. We then arrived at Clever, a unique shop run by a charming young Czech woman. The reason we went in was a t-shirt in the window that caught our eyes: When I worked at the bank I had this saying framed on my desk so the shirt resonated with me. I bought one in fuchsia and Allyson one in pink. When I exit the plane in Auckland to meet Don I will be wearing it! The charming shop owner introduced me to a versatile wrap made from bamboo in a medium slate blue shade. It bears long sleeves, no buttons that with long "tails" in front and shorter sides, climaxed with a longer back. It is soft as butter. The tails can be tied in front or flung over the shoulders to truly wrap me in warmth. As she said to me: It is perfect for the long flight to Australia. Best news: it is wash and dry and wrinkle free!

In the midst of this shopping spree we lunched at Enterprise Fish House: I ate the grilled shrimp with scallops on a skewer, wild rice and coleslaw. Allyson enjoyed a tomato and mozzarella salad with greens and a skewer of sauted scallops. We topped this off with a shared creme brulee.

All in all a satisfying and carefree day.

No comments: