Monday, January 14, 2008

Cataract surgery

I had surgery to remove a cataract in my right eye last spring. This afternoon I will have one removed from my left eye. The first surgery was a "non-event," so I am hopeful this will be as well.

However the surgery is scheduled at 2:45 pm so I have 7 minutes left to eat or drink anything. That may be the toughest part of it all.

This cataract apparently blossomed quickly since it was noticeable but miniscule last spring. When I met with my new ophthalmologist (moving across country requires a whole new set of health care providers), he was concerned enough to schedule me right away for the surgery. Over the past few months my distance eyesight has diminished rapidly so I was encouraged to hear that it was a cataract and nothing permanently damaging.

I will miss those blossoming street lights and stoplights in the evenings though.

No comments: